Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ride The Bull

Apparently not even Cook County is immune to those guys that hang out in the bathroom and put soap on your hands and then ask for money. I know others have complained about this practice elsewhere, but it's really starting to get onerous. Usually I'm pretty good at timing it so I'm washing my hands while the attendant is busy with someone else, however, this time there were two of them so I couldn't escape. I'll say this to the local bar establishments: 1. I can wash my own damned hands, 2. It's much harder to over-tip your bartenders and waitresses when I'm being charged every time I go to the bathroom.

Apart from that, I found the Cook County experience rather strange. I would think that people that go there regularly are looking for a certain type of atmosphere, a certain type of music. That environment is typified by the mechanical bull (which I did in fact ride). I'm guessing that people don't go to Cook County so that they can dance to "Baby Got Back". Cultivate your base people.

On the topic of sports, I'll likely do much better in my picks this week as I won't be showing unde faith in a team which clearly doesn't deserve as much as I've shown thus far. Given that I shan't be volunteering for Orientation this year, I'm also a tad concerned as to their prospects for Labour Day. However, that is still a little while away. As for the coming games:

Calgary and Montreal: Speaking of undue faith being shown... I'm going to say that Montreal isn't going to play badly three weeks in a row, and that they aren't going to lose to Calgary at home. Montreal should take it.

Winnipeg and Toronto: Damon's back, now the shoe is on the other foot for Winnipeg. The Bombers were looking good, but injuries seem to have caught up with them. I'm going with Toronto.

Saskatchewan and Hamilton: I honestly didn't see the dismissal of Roy Shivers coming, and while I didn't much care for him I'm not entirely sure it was warranted. That being said, I've never much cared for Eric Tillman either. I think that the media outlets that keep giving him credit for being GM of the Grey Cup winning Argonauts in 97 need to keep in mind that in 1997 they already had Doug Flutie, Don Matthews, Paul Masotti, Pinball Clemons and pretty much everyone else. Tillman would have brought in a then-rookie Derrell Mitchell, but apart from that I don't think he deserves that much credit for their Cup (94 with the Lions may be another matter). Anyways, Saskatchewan's front office aside, the Riders took it to the Ti-Cats last week, and I don't see that changing this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home