Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Where Everyone Knew Your Name

In late summer 2003, while Helen was up making her last good-byes to Edmonton, I got word that The Library (which had closed earlier in the summer), had reopened, under a new name: Scholar's. When I started Law, they took people there after the Pre-Orientation Party at Red's. Over the next 3 years, I spent countless hours there. Along with the Windsor Park Plaza Party Room, the Chateau Lacombe Conference Hall, and The Druid, it's a place that is filled with memories of Law School for me. If an evening on Whyte was ending earlier than I wanted it to, I always knew that I could swing by Scholar's and there was sure to be a few law students hanging out. Apparently Scholar's been bought by Hudson's, and will be turned into a Hudson's. Today was the last day before Hudson's takes over. Roman, Cam and I stopped by for old time's sake. There wasn't anyone else we knew there, and the beer actually tasted semi-decent for a change. I'm not sure what the future holds for that location of Hudson's, but the new owners should keep in mind the support the law students and faculty pumped into the location over the past 3 years.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Having spent many nights at The Library and Scholars', I am also quite dissapointed that it has once again closed. I worry it will become like Hudson's in its next incarnation, which would be bad times.

Some of the notable events that took place at Scholars':

- I watched the Red Sox win the World Series there.
- I believe there are pictures of me in the women's bathroom from Steve Drake Day 2005 when I was inducting some girls into the Buffalo Club. (Don't read too much into this, people. Roman, I'm looking at you).
- My going away party when I moved to Halifax last year.
- We watched the Oilers knock off the Red Wings in Game 6 at the start of May.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many others, but those milestones come to mind.

Also, while I had left by the time this happened, a post about Scholar's wouldn't be complete without a mention of the line "we don't know him". Well done, Roman.

10:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home