Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Scrum One, Scrum All

I would encourage all of my readers in the Edmonton area with free time on their hands to attend the Women's Rugby World Cup. This is the first time that the competition has been held outside Europe, and I'm hopeful that Edmonton can continue its strong tradition of hosting world class events. This should also be a great opportunity to catch some world-class women's rugby.

In other sporting news, here are my thoughts for the Labour Day match-ups.

Montreal and BC: It's occured to me that I'll be pulling for the underdogs in pretty much every game this week. As bad as they looked last week, I can't see Montreal losing three in a row (though, I think last week I may have said that I couldn't see two in a row. At any event, Montreal is still the pick).

Saskatchewan and Winnipeg: Saskatchewan has looked pretty dominant the past couple of weeks, though that hasn't been hard given their opponent. Winnipeg choked pretty badly last week against the Argos as well. Rocky Butler has quite the record against Winnipeg in Labour Day games. I'll be pulling for Winnipeg, but it just seems to me like Saskatchewan is looking better right now.

Toronto and Hamilton: Hamilton's last game is as bad as I think I've seen a team play, and I remember the Shreveport Pirates and the Las Vegas Posse. John Avery is apparently hurt, so the Argo run game will be a bit less potent. I'm starting to get reckless with these picks, but it can only go up for Hamilton, and Terry Vauhgn doesn't lose on Labour Day. Hamilton shocks the world.

Edmonton and Calgary: I'm a tad annoyed that this is the early game (though, I suppose this guarantees that I get to see the whole game, instead of having them cut to it after kickoff). Given that I'm not volunteering for Orientation this year, I have a pretty good idea how this is going to turn out, however, I'm going to pick Edmonton anyways; in part because I think the return of A.J. Gass should provide a spark. The offence should be better as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Kyle, couldn't you just go to the campus and hold a sign for a few minutes or something? Wouldn't that count?

11:28 a.m.  
Blogger Kyle said...

The new superstition may consist of not watching the game at home, as whatever I did today clearly didn't work. Friday is definitely going to be big.

12:34 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home