Saturday, February 11, 2006

Mining Club

Lost the moot yesterday. I still get a book prize out of it. We had a tough issue to argue, and I think we did what we could with it.

After the moot, a bunch of us went up to RATT for assorted merriment (astute readers will notice that I'm not mentioning the hockey game, that is by design). At one point in the evening, this drunk guy came up to a bunch of my classmates and informed them that "Mining Club Rules!". This prompted a number of us to spend the rest of the evening yelling out "Mining Club, F--- Yeah!" to the tune of the Team America theme song, and generally being as obnoxious as possible. We even came up with the following "Mining Nicknames" for ourselves:

- The Main Vein
- Big Brassy
- Klon-dyke
- Twin Peaks / Gemstone Cowboy (he replaced it mid-way through the evening)
- Gold Digger
- Strip Miner
- The Shaft
- Mother Load
- Yellow Gold
- Dirty Ore
- 24 Carat Bitch
- Petrified Woody
- Dead Pan
- Family Jewels
- Fool's Gold
- Deep Crevice

Apparently we weren't obnoxious enough, as one fellow managed to get a waitress' phone number. A cynic would perhaps interpret that as an indictment of the fairer sex. But I certainly wouldn't do that, least of all not before Valentine's Day.

In other news, I didn't catch all of the Grammy's, but I enjoyed Kanye West's performance. I was sort of hoping that 50 Cent and The Game would win for "Hate it or Love It", just to see if they'd go up to accept the award together. On a similar musical note, Nick Tam has alerted me to this. Sheer awesomeness (it's only the first verse, but it doesn't matter, it's still incredibly cool).

Good on Canada for shocking the world in Sevens. I know it's sevens, but regardless there are certain things that should never happen, and I'd think that Canada beating South Africa in Rugby is one of them. Pity that as a reward they get to play New Zealand in the Quarters.

Relatedly, the Six Nations has been having some crazy results. In spite of just squeaking by Italy, it's looking like the Poms are probably going to take it this year. Pity.

As far as Super 14 goes, I'd like to reiterate that I'm rather displeased at Sportsnet for not covering it anymore. From the results that I've seen, it's good that the Hurricanes won their first game. Also a nice touch starting off the Super 14 the same way that the Super 12 started: Hurricanes vs. Blues.

It's unfortunate that the Rush still haven't broken into the win column yet. I thought that they were really close tonight. Hopefully the next game will be different. It was good to see them get a couple of short handed goals.

Finally, as relates to Operation Slap Shot, am I the only one that thinks that the media is getting ready to cut Janet loose? I mean, she's been referred to as "Janet Gretzky" for some time now, yet most of the reports have her as "Janet Jones-Gretzky" or "Janet Jones". This reminds me alot of the descriptions of Ben Johnson as "Jamaican-Canadian Ben Johnson" after the positive test. Not sure what all will come of this, but it's just something that I noticed in the reporting of the story.

In happier Olympic news, Congrats to Jennifer Heil (whose older sister was a year ahead of me in school, and who was at one point a housemate of one of my Latin cronies). Hopefully this is a sign of more medals to come for Canada.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://rktlzibk.com/uesl/cldr.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://onewrbca.com/zdal/hynw.html]Cool site[/url]

6:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

6:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://rktlzibk.com/uesl/cldr.html | http://moopccbw.com/xkho/minp.html

6:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://dcbnjgmi.com/fumc/nvnb.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://naoljzxt.com/rekg/fpdr.html]Cool site[/url]

3:15 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

3:15 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://dcbnjgmi.com/fumc/nvnb.html | http://zbxqxdfl.com/snte/zkpq.html

3:16 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home