Monday, November 28, 2005

Green, Gold and Grey

Weekend went rather well. Broke to finals at Hugill. I was sort of disappointed with the way I spoke Sunday, but I still found the tournament as a whole to be productive. It was also good as always to catch up with old friends and meet new ones. The Roast Beef at the Sawmill was also quite nice. That, and explaining what a Yorkshire pudding was to the Alaskans.

The All Blacks also completed the Grand Slam (though, the score was much closer than I would have expected).

Finally, it's not everyday that your team wins the Grey Cup. What can I say about the game? Lots of outstanding plays and individual performances, from both sides. Excellent vindication for Ricky Ray, given all the nay-Ray-sayers of the past few weeks. I wasn't sold on Mike Mauer as outstanding Canadian. I thought Cahoon had a standout game in a losing effort (as did Lapointe). That being said, it's a minor quibble. That, and was it just me or did Steve Armitage basically ask Mauer the same questions that he asked Jason Claremont last year ("Is this a dream come true?"...). This time they made a bit more sense.

In terms of other impressions of the game, I thought Mitchell played really well, as two of his catches were key (particularly the third down gamble one). Gaylor also impressed me, apart from the two drops (which is still an improvement for him, in my opinion). For the Als, Durden had a couple of monster hits (on Tucker and Hervey) that I'm surprised didn't make more highlight reels. Though, given the number of highlights in the game, that's certainly understandable. It was also hilarious watching Maciocia run onto the field before the game was over, then realise what he was doing.

Looking forward to the parade, as well as how the offseason shapes up (I may expound on this more fully at a later point, but in addition to the impending retirements of Bruce Beaton and Chris Morris, I'm expecting Malcolm Frank to hang it up. That shouldn't be as much of a loss, however, as Keyou Craver has shown that he's ready to step up into a starting role). But that's for another time. It's great that they won, and after such a great game. Also, while I will confess to being excited, I still prefer the previous, two 5-minute halfs, form of overtime. Much more reflective of the realities of the game.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Maurer was a shock to me. Especially since I spent most of the year cringing at his efforts.

Gaylor was giving Blatz a heart attack and has not redeemed himself at all in my mind. although I got a good chuckle at your notion that his play on Sunday was an improvement...
I think you called that one.

How was the parade?

5:11 p.m.  
Blogger Kyle said...

Parade was fun times. It was sort of hard to see, but it was good just to be there. I also bumped into Tyler Daignault and Mini-Gary.

And make no mistake, Gaylor is not a very good receiver, nevermind an adequate replacement for Terry Vaughn. However, his play in the Grey Cup in my opinion constituted an improvement over his usual play.

12:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home