Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Reviews

Ok, I thought I would take the time to review my earlier purchases from Best Buy (mostly, because there's not much to write about these days).

iPod Case
Excellent purchase. It was a bit pricier than some of the other ones, but it combines form and function very well. Also, since I've figured out how to use the belt clip, it's been even better.

Rugby 2004
This game has alot of features, and the visuals are very good. However, there are some sports that lend themselves well to video game adaptation and others that don't so much. I'm thinking rugby is one of the latter. While part of it may be getting familiarity with the controls, the game seems a little less responsive than others. And screaming "Ruck over!" at the screen while the computer images refuse to cooperate is rather problematic. It may be more responsive with a controller of some sort, but I'm not sure. In hindsight, maybe I should have shelled out a bit more for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, or Rise of Nations.

Madden 2004
This is a great game. Football, does lend itself well to a computer adaptation, and the play calling feature is good. Lots of different options, realistic graphics and even a catchy soundtrack. I think this one was cheap, as the new Madden is coming out rigth away. Really good purchase.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bazin said...

Kyle,

Since Rugby 2004 is the first release (in what I suspect to be a continuing franchise), I felt that it was likely to be a 'poor' quality EA game. And by poor quality, I just mean that they haven't really figured out how to make Rugby work in a video game that well yet.

To comment on Vice City or Rise of Nations, I would have probably suggested RoN over VC (over Rugby in the end) as then you could have played myself and/or Nick over the internet for some happy fun times. Though, VC appears to be a great installment of GTA, my PC experience has found that the controls are likely better when playing on a console.

Madden 2004 was my pick for best game of 2004 (edging out Call of Duty by very very little). The gameplay is excellent, the visuals are superb, and the list goes on. I think the only game that might be able to top Madden would be NCAA 2004 (not available in Canada).

12:09 a.m.  
Blogger Bazin said...

Oh, and don't forget to submit orders for Diplomacy.

12:16 a.m.  
Blogger Mark said...

First ina franchise? I believe you are mistaken sir, as i distinctly recall playing a demo for EA Rugby 2000 or 2001 back in Fall of 2000. However, it's very likely that this is the first time it's ben released in North America. And kyle, if your gonna play a sports game on the PC, get a controller already. Sidewinder's kick ass :)

6:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home