Saturday, November 27, 2004

Audaces Fortuna Iuvat

Busy day today. Got up at 6:30 am and volunteered for the Highschool Leadership Conference. One of the groups didn't have their actual leaders show up, so I got drafted to lead them around for a bit. I got to see two of the speeches, which were quite good. At lunch, I passed the team off to Sam Power and headed over to the Engineering Head Shave. I unfortunately wasn't able to stay long enough to see actual shaving occurring, but the turnout seemed to be quite good. Kudos to Gary and everyone else involved for the hard work that went into supporting a good cause!

In the evening, I went to see Alexander with some other hacks (and Jones). I will say that Oliver Stone has never been known for his brevity or subtlety.

I think the movie was trying to do too much. Trying to tell the whole life story of Alexander and his conquests just wound up making the movie drag at times. And if I thought it was dragging at times, I can only imagine what others thought. While it gets marks for opening with a quote from Vergil (see above, though it was in English in the movie) the reptition of it througout the movie almost reached levels similar to "With great power comes great responsibility" in Spiderman. As well, while verbatim quotes from the sources (in this case, "He is trying to cross over from Asia to Greece, but he cannot even cross from couch to couch") occasionally make me chuckle, they also tend to come accross as stilted. "I, Claudius" had the same problems, and it was alot better (though, don't get me started on its historical manipulations). At any rate, while I thought the movie was o.k., it could have been more focused.

Here's hoping the other movie that I'm looking forward to this season isn't quite as much of a let down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home