Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Curb Stompers

Carbolic was fun, though the beef entree was a tad smaller than I would have liked. The mushroom soup was very good though. I had a minor role in our year's video as well, so that was quite exciting. I also won a $50 gift certificate from Packrat Louie's as a door prize. Much like last year, the evening seemed to pass quite quickly as well. I was suprised at the turnout in Admin the next morning, though I'm told that I by far looked the worst of all those present.

Pac Cup was a good time as well. Steph and I broke to finals, and I broke in public speech as well (and this is the first time I've actually been able to garner public speech hardware, as every other time I've broken the hardware always starts above where I finish). Steph and I managed to go undefeated until the finals, so we're now 14-2 as a team. There was definitely no shame dropping to Greg Allen and Jo Nairn in the final (who were also undefeated going into the final), and the win couldn't have gone to nicer people.

It was also good to see Chris Taylor out and debating drunk with Roman. Taylor had been in Japan for the past couple of years, and this was his first tournament since we hit eachother in the finals at Manitoba 2 years ago (he won).

After the tournament was over, I stayed in Vancouver a couple of days and hung out with my cousins. It was good times, though they were both quite busy.

I'm also rather pleased with my electoral prognostication skills, as all of the candidates I endorsed for the ESS Elections were elected. Congratulations to all winners.

In terms of reality television:

Survivor:
So far I've liked the rules, kind of a "return to the roots of Lord of the Flies". At the same time, it kinda sucks to bring in two extra people only to vote them off a couple of minutes into the first episode. While it's alright as "gotcha" tv, you don't really get a chance to get to know the characters (I would have been interested in seeing how Wanda actually interacted with the tribe on a long term thing). From a strategy perspective, I can't understand why the one tribe didn't stay at the original beach: in addition to making the other tribe go to tribal council, you also make them build a whole new shelter. Really, after the smart move of taking just the fire, that was a dumb on. Not sure on the contestants as a whole yet, as it usually takes a few episodes to figure people out. This season shows promise, however.

The Apprentice:
Michael clearly had to go. At the same time, I think it's pissing Trump off in the boardroom more than anything that gets you fired. Michael clearly didn't get it either, when he kept trying to give Trump his card at the end after he'd been fired. This task was quite close, and there still aren't any clear front-runners (in the same way Kelly was at this point in the last season). Also, I found the absence of Carolyn more noticeable than when George is gone (but part of that may be because George is usually gone more , and this was the first episode without Carolyn).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home