Thursday, August 12, 2004

Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should

Well, since everyone else seems to have given their review on the most recent Council meeting, I suppose I shall as well. This is the third time I've seen the SU/DFU fight up close. I was a proxy for one of the meetings where the "15% up or down after 6 years" compromise was brokered, and I was there front and centre for 6000/6600. I found this one to have less visceral animosity, but at the same time there was less opportunity for the other parties to speak. As well, this was different in that exec wasn't leading the charge against DFUs, it was more emerging from some Councillors. The beginning was quite exciting, with all the people there. Though, I personally found it embarassing that (once again) we had to wait about half an hour for council to get quorum. I'm sure this will do nothing to dispel the impression among some (which does not include me) of Council's strained legitimacy.

Anyways, as for the meeting itself, I think it sort of got bogged down towards the end. As well, I'm not sure how much a hearing all the amendments got, as everyone was trying to move their own amendments as well. Hopefully this is something that a committee dedicated to the issue can solve, though I would hope that they committee would approach the issue with an open mind. It's also looking like we may be able to make something useful out of the Administrative Committee (nee House Committee) so that's a good thing, as I was worried about whatever form that committee winds up taking running amok.

The movie we watched after Council, Igby Goes Down is perhaps the worst I've seen in quite some time, though maybe my standards for dramas is a bit more stringent than for comedies and action flicks. I did learn that Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese Microwave Dinner is quite good, however.

Another Volleyball game today. We did quite well, before losing the last one 45-21. At any rate it ensures that we won't get relegated, so hopefully we'll have a shot in the playoffs. I bumped into Haley Cleary, Bio-Chem Grad student, and member of the greatest committee in SU history who was playing for one of the other teams. Always nice to bump into people I haven't seen in a while. Off to Vancouver this weekend, so that should be good times as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

And to think, I voted for you.

1:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home