Friday, August 20, 2004

Vancouver

Well, Vancouver was quite eventful.

Our first night there, we went for Japanese food, which was excellent. Later, my cousins and my sister met up with some friends of theirs and hung out and had a few beers. It was quite fun. Apparently later in the evening we were in the same bar as Joshua Jackson, but I missed him (I was watching the Olympic highlights on the tv screen and only knew he was there after we left).

The next day, after some good BBQed Pork, we went to see Maria Full of Grace. I quite enjoyed it. I'd never seen a full length subtitled movie before. Also interesting to see that perspective on the whole issue of the drug trade.

I also got a chance to go to work with my Uncle and see what lawyers actually do. I found it really educational.

I also got a chance to go watch a Poetry Slam. A friend of one of my cousin's friends was competing, so we went to watch. It was really cool. Apparently the competitive Vancouver team had just come back from the National Poetry Slam in St. Louis. I'd never been to one before, but I found it quite interesting. You definitely could get the whole "sub culture" vibe. It was also quite "welcoming and touchy-feely" with an "always clap for the poet" type of thing going on. Nobody getting slow-clapped off (which was kind of nice).

Throughout the trip I also got some beaching in. It's always cool to see the Ocean. The weather was also fabulous, almost too hot at times.

I was also able to connect with some debating folks as well. I met up with Spencer, Tim and Monica my last night there. I probably should have briefed them on "stories not to tell Kyle's relatives" beforehand.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

Dude, that's my cousin ;) (though, I think she may be newly single).

9:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home