Friday, March 11, 2005

The Morning After

Well, the elections are over. I think the story of this election, from the all candidate's meeting to the vote count, has to be Mustafa. Now, as most readers know, I've never been one to fall into Hirji-groupieism and have generally found it all rather silly. That being said, this was clearly an amazing performance. Mustafa shocked the hack community twice: when he submitted his nomination, and when he led on the first through fourth ballots. I definitely didn't anticipate that. All of this sort of puts the lie to the oft levied criticism of Mustafa as all theory and no practicality. One short notice with few of the high powered volunteers other campaigns boasted (and black and white, non-glossy posters), he came within 87 votes against one of the more innovative visual campaigns I've seen, knocking off an outgoing OVC and a sitting VPX in a year we had a tuition rebate in the process. I think by any standard that's impressive.

It was disappointing for me that neither of the two candidates that I campaigned for won, but not much that can be done about that. I did help put up a few Kehoe posters, so I suppose that counts for something.

In other matters electoral, I was quite suprised at how the Health Plan shook down. Having watched the whole U-Pass referendum last year, I assumed this one was a foregone conclusion as well, and that the campaign was going to be irrelevant. In the end I was wrong there too.

In other matters electoral, shout out to Dal's new VP (Education) and my favourite Haligonian, Jen Bond on her recent electoral victory.

Nats is in less than a week, and a number of Ontario and Quebec teams had flights booked on Jetsgo, so there's a lot of scrambling going on in that regard. Hopefully it all works out, as this is one giant monkey wrench in things.

I found this amusing. I'm sure some of you will as well (if nothing else it's catchy)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home